The average lifespan of a roof is 30 years – provided it was well-constructed and installed with quality material. The roof lifespan in Florida is typically shorter than the national average due to the relentless sun, heat, and humidity. Roofs are prone to weather damages because they are the most exposed part of a house – more often than not, roofs at least require repairs well before their expected life has run its course. Failure to maintain a roof properly can result in serious damage to your home, and a more costly roof replacement when the time comes.
Roof Care is Essential
Caring for roofing in Hollywood Florida is essential. Doing repairs when necessary prevents leaks in rainy weather, which can lead to mold, rot, and other issues. Leaks lead to the introduction of moisture which can cause widespread damage to the structure of the house. Not waiting until it is too late to have repairs done will also save lots of money.
Let’s examine the practical reasons why roofing repairs must be left to professionals only, the benefits of hiring a roofer, and the essential things you must know before calling the local roofing company.
Why It Is Best to Hire a Professional Roofer in Hollywood Florida
Aside from the avoidance of mistakes and unnecessary expenses during installation, there are other benefits to hiring a professional roofing contractor:
- The right type of roofing system is used. Since there are many different types of roofing materials (metal, steel panels, wood shakes, asphalt shingles, clay tiles, rubber slates, etc.), choosing the right one can get confusing. By hiring a roofing contractor, you are spared from making mistakes in the selection process that you’ll soon regret.
- The old roofing material is properly disposed of. The majority of roofing contractors will cover everything from removing the old roofing, replacing it, and disposing of the old material.
- Expert installation. You are sure that the roofing system is installed securely and weather tight.
- Damage to the roof system is avoided. Roofers have scaffoldings that they use to repair or install roofs without inflicting damage to other parts of the roof or house.
- Your roofer will help you decide if a new roof needs to be installed or if some repairs are all it takes.
- Get advice on the side. Good advice on roof care is a bonus you get from your roofing contractor. A professional roofer can tell you ways to care for the most exposed part of your house and ensure that it will last as long as it can.
Roof repair is not as simple a task as many might think. There are lots of tiny details that must be considered if you want your roof to become good as new. A reliable contractor can help you figure out what needs to be done and how much everything will cost you.
Things to Know Before Hiring a Roofer
Now that you know the benefits of hiring a roofer, there are still a few things you need to understand before picking up the phone and calling your local roofer.
Upon deciding to hire a professional roofer, your first thought will naturally be to call the nearest contractor and get a quote. Not all roofers are the same – there are bad roofers and there are reputable ones, as with all other industries. Of course, like any responsible homeowner, you’d want to make sure you deal only with a reputable contractor.
There are some things you must know prior to hiring a roofer that can help you identify the best contractor to hire:
Know Exactly What You Want To Have Done
Before you make that call, it is sensible to have an idea of what the problem is and what you want to be done exactly. It’s not as simple as deciding the roof needs fixing and calling someone over to fix it. When talking to a contractor, they will likely ask you a lot of questions concerning the project. If you have not prepared or have no idea what you want to be done, you can be influenced easily into believing that there are more problems than there really are.
You must know the extent of the damage so you can tell your contractor exactly what needs fixing. Are there holes? Are there shingles falling off or missing? Does the flashing need to be realigned? What about the drainage, is it working fine?
Knowing exactly what must be fixed will also save you money. When discussing the project with your contractor, you can tell him everything that must be covered; he will make the assessment then give you a quote. Anything you forgot to tell him will cost you extra.
Know the Signs of a Bad Roofing Contractor
There are rogue contractors who will only rip you off so you must be careful. The following are signs that a South Floirda roofing contractor is far from trustworthy:
- Not fully licensed, bonded, and insured. Do not trust the contractor’s word. Insurance and bonding are the only things that you can rely on if something goes wrong with the work being performed.
- Lots of bad reviews online. Every company that works with many people will end up with a bad review here or there, and can typically be explained. However, many bad reviews can tell an alarming story about what you can expect.
- They bid far lower than anyone else. Looking for a good price on your work is a great idea, but choosing the lowest bidder by a wide margin can result in you getting what you pay for – lower quality work.